Wednesday, April 06, 2005

No more circuses in Rhode Island

Sound crazy. Well it’s not. Deputy Majority Leader, Raymond E.Gallison has introduced legislation (H 5356) which would ‘ban any circuses, carnivals and zoos from exhibiting such animals for the purpose of entertainment, whether for profit or for not’. The hearing on this bill is scheduled for today. The only places exempt from this law would be Lincoln Park (surprise, surprise), zoos accredited by the American Zoological and Aquarium Association (Roger Williams Park Zoo is accredited), and events where horses are used as part of an athletic competition. This is a waste of my tax dollars. Circuses such as Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey’s have been invaluable to enriching the lives of many kids. Whenever they come to the Dunk, they’re a crowd pleaser. Doing a quick google search on “Ringling animal abuse” I come to Mercy For Animals (no link provided) which shows me picks of elephants in shackles and other animal atrocities. Again, animals---humans---animals. Until folks start caring about real people, don’t waste my tax dollars on animals. It’s hypocritical and abusing my eyes every time I have to read about some left-wing program designed to save a non-human and in the next sentence read about a left-wing program designed to ensure the death of a human. Anyone else care more about humans than animals and are unashamed?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as it pains me to do so, I must agree with you on this one. Not that I'm advocating we hunt them down and club 'em like baby seals . . .

4/08/2005 08:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home